Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Concert Review : Silverstein, The Devil Wears Prada, A Day to Remember, Protest the Hero - Palladium, Worcester, MA

The opener for the Snow Bros tour, PtH is one of the best math/tech metal bands around to date. With riffs that are reminiscent of Iron Maiden and vocals that will make your ears bleed, I was truly looking forward to checking these guys out. They performed with the intensity, passion and precision found on both their albums, Kezia and the newly released Fortress. Protest the Hero was a complete pleasure to see and I feel they should have been higher up on the bill. I look forward to seeing them again.
***
A Day to Remember was the reason that I skipped my classes on this particular Thursday night and made the two hour drive to Worcester. They have been one of my favorite bands for the past year and a half and I highly anticipated seeing them perform. ADTR played an hour and a half set covering material from both of their albums with Your Way with Words and their cover of Kelly Clarkson's Since You've Been Gone being the standout performances. The boys from Ocala, Florida only earned three stars, though, due to the fact that I felt Jeremy, the lead singer, couldn't hit the notes in person he had originally recorded. As a fan, I give him the benefit of the doubt, with the understanding that touring and screaming night after night can take it's toll on one's throat. That being said, I need to give a fair review of what I saw and that's why one of my favorite bands only nets three stars.

The Devil Wears Prada
****
This Christian metalcore band rocked so hard, they turned me into a convert. I went in not knowing anything about The Devil Wears Prada and walked away thoroughly impressed. While I would consider them to be a bit harder than bands I would normally listen to, their musical aptitude turned me into a fan instantly. Their sound is hard to describe in words but there are elements of hardcore metal, typical emo scream/growling and keyboards infused into their music. An insanely high energy performance that translated into a highly energetic crowd, which you could see surge from side to side and front to back as a result of the collisions of mosh pit participants into unsuspecting crowd members. An excellent, unexpected discovery.

Silverstein

****
These emotionally charged Canadian guys were the cause of my getting kicked in the face and sustaining a bloody nose. As good of a performance as I've seen recently, Silverstein absolutely set the stage on fire. After lead singer Shane Told's recent break up of a seven year relationship, it made the performance that much more relevant and powerful. Shane absolutely poured his heart out on the stage this night. Stand out tracks, though only a few are hard to pick, were Smile in Your Sleep, Sound of the Sun and Bleeds No More. The mosh pit was one of the more burly I've been in as of late, complete with a guy doing the tightest roundhouse style kicks I've seen since Chuck Norris. Unfortunately for me, I didn't see this Chuck wanna be until his heel met my eye. Later in the set, during Bleeds No More, I managed to catch a forearm across the face which turned my nose on like a faucet. No matter, I wouldn't have offered up a form of respect for these guys in any other way. Get out and see Silverstein AS SOON as they come to your area!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like how you have the player, so that the music you talk about can actually be sampled. I was impressed with the cover of "Since you've been gone". It's kelly clarkson with a flair. =]